Sunday, December 16, 2007

Mistletoe isn't the only thing that hangs over people's heads during the Christmas season. Sorrows such as loneliness, grief and financial anxiety can chase away holiday cheer faster than a ban on booze at the office Christmas party.

But there are ways to find a little holiday joy, despite the miseries that might attend the season. For example, I like to amuse myself by slipping locusts and other cash-devouring insects into the Salvation Army buckets.

I also like to talk to my nephews about the magic of Santa Claus. One of them recently told me what he had asked Santa for Christmas. He said it was a radio-controlled tank that could fire smoke pellets. I leaned back thoughtfully, rubbed my chin and replied, "Wow, that's a really special gift to ask for, and that explains a lot. You see, news from the North Pole is that Santa was working really hard to make a special gift for a boy your age, and his big, old heart just finally gave out and Santa died of a heart attack. So I guess we can say that you killed Santa. I hope none of the other kids at school find out, or else you're going to get your ass kicked seven ways from Sunday on the playground."

Such moments create a special, warm feeling in me that only the Christmas season can bring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home